Vegetable Beef Soup
I have lost count on how many times I have made this. It is always been a favorite, especially in the summertime with garden fresh vegetables.
- 1 1/2 pounds chuck roast, 3/4 inch cubes
- 1 russet potato, peeled and 3/4 inch cubes
- 6 carrots, sliced into 1/4 inch coins
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 quart crushed tomatoes (or 28 oz can)
- 1 quart fresh cooked green beans (or 3 15oz cans)
- 1/4 cup V8 juice
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/3 cup quick cook barley (or pearled or hulled)
- Salt, to taste
Cover meat by 2 inches of water in stock pot. Boil then simmer meat
for 1 1/2 hours covered. Cool in refrigerator then skim fat off top.
Add tomatoes and juices, green beans and juices, carrots, onions, celery, V8 juice, and potatoes. Simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours. Add corn and pearled or hulled barley. Simmer 1/2 hour.
If using quick cook barley, add it.
Simmer 15 minutes
The barley brings out a meatier taste. Sometimes I add a few cups
water because I like broth.