Handy baking tips.
- Use a wire rack for cooling pies. It prevents condensation which makes for a soggy pie.
- Crack eggs on a flat surface, not the side of a pan since tiny egg shells will be pushed into the egg.
- Roll a lemon or lime around the countertop a few times before juicing.
- To test your baking powder, put 1 tsp baking powder in 1/3 cup hot water. If it does not foam, the baking powder is stale and needs to be replaced.
- If you don't have a sifter, put flour in a bowl and whisk it.
- Always bring ingredients to room temperature before using.
- Do not use metal bowl for rising - it conducts heat and causes the dough to rise too fast.
- To prevent a crust from forming on rising dough, cover it with a towel.
- After mixing dough, let it set ten minutes before kneading.
Send us your baking tips. We will publish them and give you a mention.