I have served this many times and it has always gone
- 2 TBL light olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup small diced carrots
- 1 good pinch saffron threads
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup petite peas, thawed if frozen
- 1 cup white long grain rice
- 2 cups hot chicken stock
- Chopped parsley, for garnish, if desired
Heat oil in medium heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions,
celery, and carrots and sweat (don't brown) until softened, 3-5 minutes. Add
rice and stir to coat each kernel with oil. Cook another 5 minutes.
Pour in broth and stir in saffron. Bring to boil, reduce heat to barely simmer. Add bay leaf and peas. Cover and cook for 20 minutes until rice is has absorbed all the liquid. Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes before uncovering. Add garnish and serve at once.