A collection of tips on preparing a good bowl of chili.
- Cumin is a chili mainstay. Buy the seeds and crush them into a powder.
- Put some spices in near the end of cooking for greater flavor.
- Bay leaf is good. Add near the beginning.
- Use Mexican oregano.
- Canned beans are mushy when simmered for hours. Add them near the end of cooking.
- Use a flat-bottom wooden spoon for stirring. It is good to scrape off the bottom of the pot.
- Use 1-2 TBL of chili powder per pound of meat.
- Add chili powder throughout cooking chili.
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes == 16 oz can of tomatoes
- Cook the spices in a bit of oil before adding anything. This brings out the flavor.