Knowledge is Delicious
Chili Glossary and Chiles
- Chile – a capsicum pepper plant
- Chili – stew of meat and red chiles.
- Chilli – misspelling in Midwest caf� window.
- Chile powder – powder made from grinding dried red chiles.
- Chili powder – chile powder, ground cumin, and other spices.
- Chile con carne – Spanish for “meat with chile peppers.”
- Scoville unit – measures chile heat. 0 for green peppers to 500,000
- Ancho – 1100 to 1500 Scoville units. Large heart-shaped pepper
- Poblano – green form of ancho
- New Mexico – 500 to 1000 Scoville units. 8 inch long chile.
- Anaheim – variety of New Mexico chile. Dried form is Colorado chile.
Green form is chile verde.
- Pasado – skinned, roasted, and dried Anaheim.
- Pasilla negro – 1000 to 1500 Scoville units. Long cylindrical dark
- Chipotle – smoke dried jalapeno
- Jalapeno – don’t sun dry very well. 5000 to 10000 Scoville units.
- Chile de Arbol – not quite as hot as cayenne. 15,000 to 30,000
- Japone – smoked dried red jalapeno